Patchwork Pillows & Futon Cover

Remember when I made my first quilt, and saved the scraps and leftovers for pillows? I finally made them!


Before I tell you about them, I need to gush about the triumph that is my futon cover. Notice the tan serving as the background to the pillows and quilt. This is possibly my finest work.

See, once upon a time, I got this futon for free from a friend of my dad's. It wasn't like any other futon I'd ever seen, and folds uniquely, too. Therefore, no store-bought covers work for it, and no patterns I've ever found apply. For awhile, I used a fitted sheet and tucked it in strategically. This was functional, cheap, and easy, but required a lot of adjustment to look decent after you sat on it. A few months ago, I decided to make a fitted slipcover, pinning and sewing fabric to make a cover that only fit the futon when it was up and folded. This was my first time trying to slipcover a thing, and while it worked for a little while, I didn't allow enough give in the seams, and soon enough, the slipcover that I worked on for days was ripping pretty much all over. Also, there was slippage in places there shouldn't have been, resulting in it being too taut in other places. Long story short, it didn't really work out.

So I hatched an idea for a new cover. A simple cover. A, dare I say, brilliant cover. My plan was thus: Take two oversized sheets. Sandwich the futon mattress, laying flat. Sew on three sides, attach velcro to the last side. Turn inside out, pull over mattress, and voila, a futon cover that was cheap, simple, pretty, with more give and a lot less necessary tucking than previous options.


As you can tell from the wrinkles, some tucking IS necessary, especially after certain dogs use your newly covered futon as their personal playground, turning cartwheels and somersaults. However, it just takes one quick hand swipe to get all of the wrinkles onto the inside of the fold. The velcro was pretty ingenious, as we can adjust to allow for a little more or less give as needed. The other cool thing about this type of cover is that when we need to make the couch-futon into a bed-futon, we can just unfold it and throw on a blanket and some pillows (provided the cover has been washed recently).

That was probably WAY more discussion about the futon cover than strictly necessary, since I know that you're really here to see the pillows. I made two: one from the smaller bits of scraps, and one from 4 1/2" squares.

Scrappy pillow.

Squares pillow.

Here's another bit of brilliance. For the backs of the pillows, I used fabric leftover from the futon covering; particularly the parts with pre-hemmed edges.

I'm not sure why all of my photos turn out crooked. :/

So all I had to do was sew around the four edges, and presto, pillow. These were SO easy, they took (maybe) an hour, hour and a half to make. Including the patchwork. I'm not sure why I dragged my heels so long before making them.

5 comments:

"Dave Schultz" said...

soooo cute. I love the fabrics that you used. srsly.

Futon slip = brilliant.

I've been tempted to make a custom slip cover for my sofa because the one I bought lives up to the "slip" part of it. I hate it. And I despise the upholstery of the couch underneath. However, it's got cushions and crap so I've been far to intimidated to even consider it seriously. ugh.

Toby said...

Aw. It's beautiful.

Alicia said...

What gorgeous pillows! And the futon looks great - fantastic job all around!

Henry said...

Beautiful Pillows are available at Spacify. You must have a look...They are stylish and durable.

Ohad said...

I love futon