Quilt One: Amy Butler Blues


In preparation for the Pants Project, I decided I would try my hand at a throw quilt and use less important fabrics. I collected a bunch of Amy Butler fabrics that had light and robin's egg blues as either the main or accent colors and cut the fat quarters into nine 5 1/2 inch squares. I have a fair bit of fabric leftover: this will be made into a throw pillow or two, and whatever's left over from that will go into Quilt Two, a quilt made of a multitude scrap fabric for my friend Toby. Only after I have completed Quilt Two will I embark on the next steps of the Pants Project.

But I digress. I had nine 5 1/2 inch squares of each pattern and just pieced them together into blocks of nine randomly. Then I pieced rows of five together, and finally pieced five rows of five into a square throw-sized quilt. I had originally planned to make it four blocks by six, but four seemed a bit too short, so I adjusted. Unfortunately, this impulsive decision led to my not having enough backing fabric, a problem I solved by hacking the remaining squares in half, sewing them into a train, and then sewing backing fabric on either side. Clever, right?

I had a LOT of trouble with the quilt sandwich (front of quilt + back of quilt + batting) and had to rip back stitches twice (well, my husband did, because stitch ripping is my least favorite activity, possibly ever). In the end, I had to get creative with the batting, because it shifted insanely during the sandwich assembly (there may or may not be overlapping pieces and some cosmetic cutting so that the finished quilt would lie flat). So far this hasn't effected either the cuteness or comfortability of the finished product.

So without further ado, here is the quilt:

Quilt front, sans ironing.

Cute detail courtesy of poor planning. Also, I really do own an iron.

Close-up of one section; you can see the patterns a bit better this way.


So what do you think? Not too shabby for a first time, eh? I think I'll go join the dogs, who have already claimed it as their own, on the couch. It's time for a movie.

6 comments:

"Dave Schultz" said...

keys to quilt sandwich (which you may have done but just didn't write it out here) safety pin the bejesus out of the sandwich. Also, get a quilting foot for machine, it helps feed all the layers through more evenly. Did you use regular batting or superthin quilting batting? Just curious.

amanda said...

I safety pinned... maybe just one part of the holy trinity. Not the whole bejesus. More pinning definitely would have been beneficial.

Also, I TOTALLY bought a fifteen dollar walking foot that I couldn't figure out how to attach. I finally came to the conclusion, after some Googling, that my machine needs a special kind of walking foot. Fie you, Brother.

Also-also, I used superthin quilting batting. But not thin enough that it was not problematic. :/

"Dave Schultz" said...

well, I've never mastered the quilt sandwich either, but walking/quilting foot makes HUGE difference (used my friends machine and learned this).

I've reasoned that what I really need is the bazillion dollar free arm quilting machine. Just cuz. It has to not have all these trivial problems of simple sewing machines, right? :)

Amy I. said...

It looks great, I love the colors! My first (and probably last, ha) ever quilt has a similar strip on the back for the same reason :)

Toby said...

I am so, so impressed.

Alicia said...

Gorgeous! The front is, of course, beautiful and love the randomness but it's the back with that little sash that's over the top perfect. And I love that it came out of not having enough fabric! If I ever brave the world of quilts I might have to borrow that sash idea. Great job!