Partying Like it's 2009*

Happy New Year, everyone!**

Can you believe it's 2009? I can't. Especially since New Year's Eve and the following day were so anticlimactic for us. We spent New Year's Eve in bed with pizza and popcorn watching movies, and went to bed around 10:30 (in our defense, Chris had to work the next morning at 5 a.m.***), only to wake up to the sound of fireworks somewhere near our apartment. New Year's day held a casual lunch/movie date [Have you seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button yet? Loved it!] and a trip to Pier 1 to snag some clearance Christmas decorations (and I scored, majorly).

Each year around New Year's I find myself feeling sort of floaty and without purpose. I want so badly to have a New Year's tradition to follow, after the days spent honoring Christmas traditions. For the life of me, however, I can't think of anything good enough that we'd be willing to do year after year. What are your New Year's traditions?


*By which I mean being incredibly lazy. Many recent days have been spent at home in pajamas, hanging out and watching movies.

**I am still working on the gift recap. The lighting in our apartment has been horrible for picture-taking in the wake of all this snow and fog, and I haven't figured out how to artificially light well enough to make for a decent photo.
***This does not necessarily mean that if he were off on New Year's day that we would still be awake at midnight. In fact, we didn't make it last year, either, and there was no early schedule to blame. One day I will betray my grandmotherly ways and spend the countdown in public and awake, possibly with liquor!

2 comments:

hillary said...

happy new year! i did design my banner. thanks for the comment :)

Becky said...

Love the footnotes. :)

And I can't really say I have a New Year's tradition, at least since I was old enough to get out of pork and sauerkraut at my grandparents'. I seem to end up at a different place every year, with an entirely different group of people.