Graphic Design Fail

People, I need a revamp. This blog design is tired.

I am having difficulty with my elementary graphic design skills. My problem is that I'll see something that looks simple, which my mind translates to easy, and then suddenly I'm knee-deep in wedding invitation designing and making millions of tweaks that just look wrong.

This happens to me over and over again: "I don't want to PAY for that. I can do it myself!" It's been said many times while visions of invitations, wedding programs, wedding activity books, etsy banners and avatars, blog banners, and blog buttons have danced in my head.

It's not as easy as it looks, is my point. And I am just anal-retentive enough that I will spend all day playing with the spacing of letters or trying to achieve perfect symmetry with an image and text. Most of the time, it takes so long and is so frustrating that I would have gotten off cheaply to have paid someone else to do the dirty work.

It's time, I think, to solicit help for my blog and for my etsy shop, the banner and avatar for which I have created several iterations of and subsequently tossed out. It kind of kills me to admit it, but this is something that I'm just plain not good at. And while my wedding invitations and programs and activity books and zillion other pieces of paper turned out fine, people only looked at those things once. And I spent so much time on them. So I requested a quote for someone to revamp my blog, and possibly my etsy, too. I just hope I can afford her.

4 comments:

Alicia said...

I'm another person who'll spend FOREVER trying to get pictures and such just right. Sigh. I got a LOT of help on my blog by just typing in "free blogger templates" to google. Just a thought - there's a lot of really neat designs out there.

Beyond that I can't help but can offer sympathy. It can be annoying to be a perfectionistic artistic person!

Becky said...

I'm having the same issue with my blog. I'm just so bored with the layout, but lack the html skills to do anything about it. I did look at some of the free templates, but then I don't know how to do the stuff like add the sidebar things back in, and can't remember how I got the scroll boxes in there to avoid massively long lists! Maybe I'll try to figure it out after the holidays when I'm not on project-finishing time crunch. Good luck with yours!

Dee Light said...

I'm sure it's not that your not, or can't be good at it; but that you just don't know the steps.
I don't know them either.

As far as your blog goes some of my favorite blogs (and they are succesful) are the most simple. They have a header that has been edited in photo shop, with words added.
http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/

This is just an example, and I'm sure you already know how to do something simular. As far as your avitar and ETSY shop go, Your right, you do need something eyecatching I wonder if you could use some kind of interesting photo on that. Best thing would be for the profesional to be affordable I guess. Good luck and happy thanksgiving.

Linda said...

Amanda, I went to the CutestBlogs.com and got a free Holiday background. They have a lot of free backgrounds and such. Just a thought you might want to try. If you visit my site you can see the name of the site in the upper left hand corner.

I just don't have the skills or time to learn to make my blog more than a standard template.

Good luck and have a great Thanksgiving.